Person using calculator to add the stack of bills on the table Payment Assistance and Pay My Bill Header
  • Payment Assistance

    The following resources are available to Virginia Beach residents in need of assistance paying a utility bill. You may also dial 2-1-1 for free information on available community services. When you call 2-1-1, a trained professional will listen to your situation and suggest resources.

  • Public Utilities Customer Service

    Payment Assistance Resources

    Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)


    Need help with your water bill? The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) helps low-income households with a delinquent balance pay their City Services bill. Customers may also submit an additional application for assistance with their HRSD bill. For more information and eligibility requirements, call 1-888-373-9908 or visit

    Payment Arrangements

    Payment arrangements are available to qualifying residents in need of short-term financial assistance. Eligible residents can call (757) 385-4631 to establish a payment arrangement with up to four installments on current account balances. 

    Please review the eligibility requirements and acknowledgement form before applying.

    Water Assistance Program 

    (757) 385-6700

    The Water Assistance Program is provided by Virginia Beach Public Utilities to qualifying residents. Eligible residents can receive program assistance at a maximum of $350.00 once per fiscal year for a City Services Bill; and $300.00 for a plumbing repair. Please review the program eligibility requirements before applying. The application form and acknowledgement form are available online. Applications are accepted at the Virginia Beach Department of Human Services, 3432 Virginia Beach Blvd. For more information, call the number provided.

    H2O (Help To Others)

    (757) 543-8100

    The H2O (Help To Others) program, administered​ by The Salvation Army, offers financial assistance to residents needing help with their City Services or HRSD bill. Residents must be able to demonstrate that a personal or family crisis has inhibited ability to pay utility bills. Eligible residents can receive program assistance one time in any twelve-month period in the amount of $500.00 or the balance due, whichever is less. For more information, call the number provided.​

    Church of the Ascension​

    (757) 495-1886 Ext. 414

    Holy Spirit Catholic Church​

    (757) 468-3600 Ext. 111​

    Mission United (Assists Military Only)​

    (757) 858-7777

    ​St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church

    (757) 497-8330 Ext. 303

    Star of the Sea Catholic Church​

    (757) 428-3492 or (757) 428-1244

    The Stop Organization​

    (757) 858-1360

    The Potter's House​

    (757) 428-7727

    United Way (Assists Veterans Only) 

    (757) 853-8500 Ext. 100